Chapter Seven: Accepting the Unacceptable

You are not going to be accepted everywhere you go. Think about it. I can walk into a mall and I know that immediately someone is wondering why I'm wearing clothes that may fit loosely. Or they wonder why I'm overweight. Given, I am trying to do what I can to lose weight. That doesn't mean that someone won't still think what they want. But how many times was Christ not accepted by the people? Especially when it came to the Pharisees and the Sadducees. He knew their hearts.

Luke 15:1-2

 Now the tax collectors and sinners were all gathering around to hear Jesus. But the Pharisees and the teachers of the law muttered, “This man welcomes sinners and eats with them.”

He ate with "sinners" and tax collectors.  Now why would He go and do a thing like that? I mean, seriously? Keep in mind the Pharisees and the teachers of the law (who could also be the Saduccees) didn't always realize that Christ knew their hearts and they questioned Him, always trying to trap Him. Still, it surprised them when Christ answered them with what He knew to be true and what they knew to be true. I'll be honest. I was never accepted in school. I was known as a pushover. I let people push me around and I was bullied because I was too nice. I felt the need to do good things for those around me and it caused trouble. I was also a people-pleaser. Tears were a part of my everyday life.

With all of the negative people around me, I had a hard time adjusting to some change. My family moved to Central Texas and that's where I call home. I finally learned to stand up for myself against those who decided that I'm not worth their good nature. It led to some fighting. However, I rarely started it and when it came down to it, my parents did back me up and support me. I appreciate that from them. As you read previously, I had a relationship of damage. I still goes to this verse for help.

Jeremiah 29:10-19

10 This is what the Lord says: “When seventy years are completed for Babylon, I will come to you and fulfill my good promise to bring you back to this place. 11 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. 12 Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. 13 You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. 14 I will be found by you,” declares the Lord, “and will bring you back from captivity. I will gather you from all the nations and places where I have banished you,” declares the Lord, “and will bring you back to the place from which I carried you into exile.” 15 You may say, “The Lord has raised up prophets for us in Babylon,” 16 but this is what the Lord says about the king who sits on David’s throne and all the people who remain in this city, your fellow citizens who did not go with you into exile— 17 yes, this is what the Lord Almighty says: “I will send the sword, famine and plague against them and I will make them like figs that are so bad they cannot be eaten. 18 I will pursue them with the sword, famine and plague and will make them abhorrent to all the kingdoms of the earth, a curse and an object of horror, of scorn and reproach, among all the nations where I drive them. 19 For they have not listened to my words,” declares the Lord, “words that I sent to them again and again by my servants the prophets. And you exiles have not listened either,” declares the Lord. (ESV)

I don't believe for a minute that the Lord planned for me to stay in a relationship of damage, BUT He did safely bring me out of it. He allowed me to survive and tell my story to others and become a person who is a happy and single Follower of Christ. There's a lot of acceptance in that. You must accept being single in Christ, for Christ, and with Christ. Jesus Christ is your Friend and your Brother and He is Lord. As I've said before, I sat in a bible class with an excellent teacher and preacher of the Word. He described talking to God like He's sitting with you on the couch. And all you have to do is dump out your bucket or bag of troubles and He sorts through them. Or another example from a professor of the Word at a university is to close your eyes. Imagine yourself in your favorite place. Whether its on the beach with your best friend or at the lake sitting on the dock. Or even in your house playing video games. How do you see Jesus? Is He tall or short? Is He skinny or fat? Does He have hair or is He bald? That's up to your imagination. Tell Jesus that you want to be freed from your sin and your guilt. What does He do with it? Again, that's up to how you see it. Acceptance that Jesus Christ is your Lord and Savior is important.  

Acts 2:38

And Peter said to them, “Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit." (ESV)  

 Some versions say remission, but it means the same as forgiveness. This is where most people that believe as I do, explain the importance of baptism. Christ was baptized Himself by John the Baptist. And there are several people who followed John the Baptist. Christ was actually cousins with John the Baptist. Johns mother, Elizabeth, was Mary's (Christ's earthly mother) sister. John the Baptist told Jesus that he was unfit to baptize the Lord. He even said that it was Jesus who was to baptize him. 

Matthew 3:13-17

13 Then Jesus came from Galilee to the Jordan to be baptized by John. 14 But John tried to deter him, saying, “I need to be baptized by you, and do you come to me?” 15 Jesus replied, “Let it be so now; it is proper for us to do this to fulfill all righteousness.” Then John consented. 16 As soon as Jesus was baptized, he went up out of the water. At that moment heaven was opened, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting on him. 17 And a voice from heaven said, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased.” (NIV)

Keep in mind: When I talk about acceptance, I'm talking about acceptance of Jesus Christ. And on top of that, Jesus accepted those who were sinners. I will say that this is where people will say that God accepts homosexuality. 

1 Timothy 1:8-10

We know that the law is good if one uses it properly. We also know that the law is made not for the righteous but for lawbreakers and rebels, the ungodly and sinful, the unholy and irreligious, for those who kill their fathers or mothers, for murderers, 10 for the sexually immoral, for those practicing homosexuality, for slave traders and liars and perjurers—and for whatever else is contrary to the sound doctrine 11 that conforms to the gospel concerning the glory of the blessed God, which he entrusted to me. (NIV)

In 1 Timothy 1, Paul gives Timothy encouragement and guidance, which was usually in character for Paul. Even if he was writing Timothy from prison. When it was known by Paul that there was turmoil in Macedonia and Ephesus, he wrote to Timothy in the first chapter of First Timothy to lead the sexually immoral, up to and including those practicing homosexuality, to righteousness. So to counter an argument with someone who believes that homosexuality is not wrong, this scripture can be used. In doing a little more homework or research as it were, homosexuality is also known as sexual immorality. 

1 Corinthians 6:9-10

"Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites, nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God." (NIV)       

Again, Paul is writing to the Church in Corinth. There were several that on the outside were practicing faith in God, but secretly practicing things in their homes. Paul started his life as a Pharisee. He was killing Christians in order to fulfill a man made law. And then the Lord spoke to him, blinded him for three days and changed his life forever! For the good of spreading the Gospel of Jesus Christ. So this acceptance of homosexuality that the world wants to see come to light is Biblically known as sexual immorality. However, there are those who consider themselves to be Christians that will shun the people who practice homosexuality and not try to lead them to righteousness. 

Matthew 9:9-13  

 As Jesus went on from there, he saw a man named Matthew sitting at the tax collector’s booth. “Follow me,” he told him, and Matthew got up and followed him.
10 While Jesus was having dinner at Matthew’s house, many tax collectors and sinners came and ate with him and his disciples. 11 When the Pharisees saw this, they asked his disciples, “Why does your teacher eat with tax collectors and sinners?”
12 On hearing this, Jesus said, “It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. 13 But go and learn what this means: ‘I desire mercy, not sacrifice.’ For I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners.” (NIV)

Matthew was a tax collector and he was not a very well liked person around town. He was considered a hoarder of money. He'd cheat people out of cash, even if he knew that they didn't have it. However, Christ still called him to be His disciple. Again, this is where the Pharisees were murmuring, "Who does this dude think He is? He's eating with tax collectors and sinners!" And that's where Christ, one of several thousands of times I'm sure, tells them: "Healthy people don't see doctors! I'm not here to save the righteous, but to bring the unrighteous to Me!" So in essence, acceptance of Jesus Christ is what's important here. And leading those who are unrighteous to become righteous. It's taken me a long time to realize that being like Christ is not brow beating people into believing exactly as I do. It's planting a seed and leading them in a direction that will give them a new life in Jesus Christ. Happiness is found in Christ. When I found it, I wanted to share with everyone. Once my heart was opened to the idea of being single in Christ, for Christ and with Christ, I accepted the fact that I can be happy in my life. And He's the only Man I'll ever really need, even if I never get married and have a family! 


Where do I stand with Christ currently?



How can I change that? Do I need to change it?



Am I fully accepting of His love, His teachings and His life?




Am I seeking Him in my daily life and my every activity?



How do I set an example to be Christ like without making people feel put off or beaten down?



Do I accept my single life with Christ, for Christ and in Christ? Why or why not?



What can I do the change my life as a single Follower of Christ? 



I hope that these questions give you some perspective of how to seek Christ in everything you do, say and think about. I understand that life gets in the way. But with the happiness in Christ, life becomes easier and you're able to see the world through a different set of eyes. Always pray to God. Never stop. 



1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

Rejoice always,  pray without ceasing,  give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. (ESV)

 

  

Comments