Chapter Eight: Do Something.

While I know that it's not easy to be out and about just talking about Jesus and what He's done for all human kind, it's not just about talking. It's true that actions speak louder than words. My head spins sometimes of all the things I'd like to say about Jesus to other people. But don't focus on just one person. Keep the eyes of your heart open. And just keep your eyes open. You can't expect the door to just open. What have you done in order to open the door? You have to keep an eye for those opportunities because the opportunities are everywhere.

James 2:14-26

What good is it, my brothers and sisters, if someone claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save them? 15 Suppose a brother or a sister is without clothes and daily food. 16 If one of you says to them, “Go in peace; keep warm and well fed,” but does nothing about their physical needs, what good is it? 17 In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead. 18 But someone will say, “You have faith; I have deeds.” Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by my deeds. 19 You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that—and shudder. 20 You foolish person, do you want evidence that faith without deeds is useless? 21 Was not our father Abraham considered righteous for what he did when he offered his son Isaac on the altar? 22 You see that his faith and his actions were working together, and his faith was made complete by what he did. 23 And the scripture was fulfilled that says, “Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness,” and he was called God’s friend. 24 You see that a person is considered righteous by what they do and not by faith alone.
25 In the same way, was not even Rahab the prostitute considered righteous for what she did when she gave lodging to the spies and sent them off in a different direction? 26 As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead.


So if you have faith without deeds, James says you're stagnant. Stagnant meaning you're going to church, you're obeying the ten commandments but that's it. Seriously? Is that all you're doing? You're not helping your brother or sister that's struggling with money or lack of food. It's hard to know whose struggling and who isn't struggling, especially in a society of pride. I wouldn't want everyone that doesn't know me all that well to know all of my dirty little secrets. However, most of what you've read here in previous chapters is probably considered a dirty little secret. I'm not here to judge you and I'm not here to admonish you. I'm here to help you find within yourself a way to show service towards others in order to serve Christ. Showing love that Christ has shown you and others, whether past or present (or even future), gives you an advantage. An advantage that others may not have. Showing love doesn't mean hugs, or kisses or holding hands. That's an affection of love towards someone else.

The love I speak of is the type of actionable love. You serve the poor. Or you volunteer at a children's hospital. That's love. But in James, it talks about having the faith without showing love towards others. If you'd ever met me on the street, you'd probably believe that I'm a happy person. I smile at those who I make eye contact with, I easily start up conversations, and I've even gone as far as to ask someone the time when I was wearing a watch. I'm typically that person that some people find obnoxious, but in a good way. My intentions are good. I will let you in on a secret. I don't always have the best intentions when it comes to doing service for others. I tend to do it out of habit or because I was volunteered. So I'm not trying to make you feel horrible for not having your heart in the right place. I haven't always had my heart in the right place either. I think about all the other things I could be doing instead of volunteering somewhere. But at the end of the day after volunteering, I always felt good that I did it.

Romans 12:1-7

Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship. Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will. For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the faith God has distributed to each of you. For just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function, so in Christ we, though many, form one body, and each member belongs to all the others. We have different gifts, according to the grace given to each of us. If your gift is prophesying, then prophesy in accordance with your faith; if it is serving, then serve; if it is teaching, then teach; if it is to encourage, then give encouragement; if it is giving, then give generously; if it is to lead, do it diligently; if it is to show mercy, do it cheerfully.

In this letter to the Romans, Paul is telling them that they are to be living sacrifices for God. You may feel that worship is only when you go and be with those in the body of Christ. That's not necessarily true. Worshiping God is not getting in the car, going to a building, having bible class, going to the auditorium, singing five songs, listening to a minister, praying five prayers and then going to Luby's or Furr's for lunch. Worship is living your life for Him, with Him and in Him. You may see a pattern here. In, for, with. If you live with Christ, you see Him as your friend and your brother. If you live for Him, you are a living sacrifice in service to Him. If you live in Christ, you're living in peace, joy and love. The greatest, of course, being love!

So what am I saying when I tell you to do something? Keep in mind: I'm not forcing you to do or say anything. I'm saying to find something that you know is an open opportunity that you haven't taken but you know is there for the taking. And if there's anything that I'd like you to walk away with, it's that you realize that I'm not God. I'm not Jesus Christ, nor do I claim to be perfect. I'm a human being and I've made some massive mistakes! I still make massive mistakes sometimes. Actually all the time. I like to speed sometimes and I like to break a city ordinance because I like a certain song. So please don't believe that I'm telling you all this because I believe I'm better than you. It's because I'm learning just as much as you are. 

Please be sure to always keep prayer first and foremost in your mind. Praying before doing any activity will make you feel so much better. I remember once I didn't do my wake up prayer. (The prayer I say when I wake up.) I didn't thank God for allowing me to wake up to another day, for allowing me to have a car, and a job. I will tell you that day was probably the worst day I'd ever had at work and I was the top seller at that particular office supply store. My numbers were way down and I was just feeling very out of sorts. The next day, I woke up, said my wake up prayer and had a much better day. I believe that saying that wake up prayer to start my day is the best thing in the world. I'm already handing my day's problems to the Lord and the day has just started!

Galations 6:9

 Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.

To me, this verse in Galations says that if we keep going in our service to Christ, we will reap multiple benefits in the end. I will tell you that I am not the best student in the world. However, while I was in college, I set a goal in mind. I wanted to cross the stage to graduate and actually prove to myself that I could do it. And I did graduate from college! When I felt weary and like I didn't want to be there anymore, I had reminders. Reminders that God placed in front of me every day. One big reminder is my niece. To watch her grow and learn, to hear her laugh and see her smile, I knew deep in my heart that joy is not far away. And that getting my education finished is all worth while.

Here's what I'd like to help you understand. Getting outside of your circle of influence, even just a little bit, can help those who you speak to about Christ. I have had people ask me, "Why are you always so happy?" My response ranges from "Because I have peace in Christ and with Christ" to "Because my Lord loves me enough to send His Son to die for me!" I don't always have great days. I'm still a human being and I do get angry, sad and off track. Again, I'm asking: What can I do for others in order to also serve Christ? Am I giving fully of myself? And if I am, what's my attitude? My peace of mind starts with the fact that I know who Christ is and He knows who I am. He's mine and I'm His! What am I doing? Well, right now, you're reading about what to do, how to be a better servant of God. Right? Or you're looking for an answer. Where is that answer? What is God trying to tell you? How well are you seeking Him? Do you see Him for what He truly is?  

There are several examples of missed opportunities in my life. I love baseball! Since I'm a woman, softball was my alternative. I always wanted to play, but never tried out! On the other hand, I have taken risks in my life. I've moved to a new place where I knew one person, my sister. I started a new chapter of my life and it's scary doing that! But why do I ask about or bring up risks or risk taking? I'll honestly tell you that you've taken a risk reading these words before you. In the end, you may or may not be disappointed! I commend you for staying this long!

Ask yourself what your greatest challenge is currently. Whether it be speaking about God or living out the life as a follower of Christ. Are you happy with the material items you currently posses? Or do you crave more? Here's a great way to look at it. You woke up today, you found clothes to wear, you found food to eat and you have a job. If you don't have a job, that's okay. Sometimes economic resources can be tough. I'd like to encourage you to be someone who ha the attitude of Christ when He washed His disciples feet. The book of John speaks of this and the attitude of Simon Peter is automatically negative! Jesus tells him that if he won't listen, not to let the door hit him on the way out. to me, this shows that God has emotions. In most of John, Jesus Christ shows all kinds of emotion.

In chapter eleven, Lazarus dies. He's a great friend to Christ and He cries. He lets it out! And that tells me that God is a jealous, loving Ultimate Being. When Jesus wept, it showed those who followed Him that even God is emotional. But think about Mary and Martha ask Him. Jesus was a very busy man. If He wasn't being followed to heal someone, another person was possibly trying to kill Him. He was always doing something in the name of the Father. So to sum up, DO SOMETHING! Being a follower of Christ isn't about just going to worship, devotionals, and bible studies.

Hebrews 5:11-6:3

11 We have much to say about this, but it is hard to make it clear to you because you no longer try to understand. 12 In fact, though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you the elementary truths of God’s word all over again. You need milk, not solid food! 13 Anyone who lives on milk, being still an infant, is not acquainted with the teaching about righteousness. 14 But solid food is for the mature, who by constant use have trained themselves to distinguish good from evil.

Therefore let us move beyond the elementary teachings about Christ and be taken forward to maturity, not laying again the foundation of repentance from acts that lead to death, and of faith in God, instruction about cleansing rites, the laying on of hands, the resurrection of the dead, and eternal judgment. And God permitting, we will do so.

Don't be stuck on milk when you know you're ready for the solid food of God's word. Doing something can involve any number of things. You don't have to get immunizations and a passport just to board a plane to Africa to take care for the orphans and widows in a remote village. God bless you if you are able to do that! But if you can't, have you seen the opportunities in your hometown? What about the things at the smaller church inside the city? I'd like to encourage you to read the first four books and Isaiah of the Old Testament. After you do that, read the first four of the New Testament. The comparison may help you to understand how to find what to do in the name of Christ. You'll see the service of our Lord while He walked the earth.



In the verses that preceded, how do you feel about what God is saying?


Have you researched opportunities in your community? Why or why not?


Do you feel stuck in a rut? If so, what are you willing to do get out of the rut?


What opportunities do you know of that are local and far away that you could possibly be a part of in the near future?

Comments